The objective is to strengthen the link between the two important sectors – agriculture and tourism – and promote trade for poverty alleviation in Pacific communities. The major activities for the week include a Pacific regional farmer technical exchange and networking with Caribbean counterparts to share knowledge and experiences working with the tourism sector; a niche agrifood display of value-added products, and technical exchange and learning forums aimed at building the capacity of farmers, chefs, policy makers and the private sector on tourist-related markets.
This event is jointly funded through CTA and the the Intra-ACP EU-funded Pacific Agricultural Policy Project (PAPP). The week will also coincide with a six-monthly meeting of the PAPP Steering Committee consisting representatives of 14 Pacific ACP countries and Timor-Leste.
Social reporting for the Pacific Community Agritourism Week
CTA in collaboration with SPC is supporting a team of young social reporters to attend and report on the event throughout the week. The objective of social media reporters is to raise awareness on the event, engage on-site participants and reach out to a wider audience remotely.
The social reporting team is composed of 2 sub-teams; on-site social reporters and online social reporters.
On-site social reporters
8 young social reporters from the Pacific will be selected to participate in the Pacific Community Agritourism week, attend a two-day training workshop on the use of digital media for social reporting and provide social media coverage during the week. The training workshop will be from 27th to 28th June. All CTA and SPC funded social media reporters will be given an opportunity to gain hands-on experience and training on the use of social media.
At the end of the event, the social reporters will be awarded a certificate. Among the 8 on-site reporters, 5 will be from the Pacific Region and 3 will be from Fiji.
Online social reporters
Other interested social media enthusiasts who are not from the Pacific, but interested to report on the event can join the larger social reporting team that will participate and contribute remotely (online) to the outreach of the event.
Social reporting for the Pacific Community Agritourism Week is a voluntary task. However, CTA and SPC will be covering the cost of travel, accommodation, food and daily subsistence allowances for the 8 selected on-site social reporters. This opportunity forms part of both CTA’s and SPC’s strategy to support the youth by involving them in its activities and building their capacity.
Selection criteria for social reporters
- Be a National of a Pacific ACP country (* See below, list of Pacific ACP countries);
- Be aged between 18 and 35 years;
- Be involved in agriculture, agribusiness, agritourism, information and communication, knowledge management or related fields;
- Proven basic skills in the use of social media for reporting;
- Be competent in the use of English language;
- Be a good communicator and commit to contribute actively to the Social Reporting Team before and during the Agritourism Week;
- Be in position to take along a WIFI-enabled laptop to the training and the Agri-Tourism Week;
- Available to attend the social reporting training workshop and the Pacific Community Agritourism Week in Fiji from 27 June – 03 July 2015;
- Be in possession of a passport with a validity date at least six months beyond the Agri-Tourism Week (at least until January 2016). Note: This criterion is not applicable to Nationals of Fiji
Note: Selected participants should have their own laptop and at least a camera (or mobile phone with built-in camera)
- There is no restriction on the age and country for remote social reporters
- Being part of the team will provide various networking and capacity building opportunities.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying, please complete this online form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/application-Pacific-SR
Note: All candidates interested in being part of the social reporting team (both on-site and online) have to complete the application form.
Please submit your application by 14 June, 2015 (23:59 CEST)
The 8 selected social reporters will be notified by 16 June 2015 receiving a confirmation letter. The other applicants will also be notified about the outcome of their application and informed about the modalities to contribute to the social reporting team remotely.
List of Pacific ACP Countries
Cook Islands - Fiji - Kiribati - Marshall Islands - Federated States of Micronesia - Nauru - Niue - Palau - Papua New Guinea - Solomon Islands - Samoa - Tonga - Tuvalu - Vanuatu.
Download this announcement in PDF version: Call for social reporters